Newry co down ireland. Newry Hotels 2019-01-14

Newry co down ireland Rating: 7,6/10 1428 reviews

Newry All

newry co down ireland

It was described in 1836 as a rectangular granite building, capable of holding 1000 people with an average attendance of 700. Patrick's high on the hill overlooking the town. The western half of the city is in County Armagh and the eastern half is in County Down. Newry The commercial health of the town of Newry has always been closely linked to the transport system of the time. Emerson, proprietor Newry Gymnastic Club, Canal street Newry Hockey Club—James King, secretary Newry Hotel, Edward street Newry Intermediate Schools—Wm. It cost £8,000 which was raised by subscription of people of all denominations.

Next

Newry Hotels

newry co down ireland

John O'Neill as parish priest. Mullan, Peter, draper and tobacconist, Hill street Mullan, R. This site was later abandoned in favor of the church in Downshire Road. There was a Poor House in the corner of the graveyard which was removed around 1845. Mary st M'Anuff, James, breadserver.

Next

Search our Irish Genealogy Databases

newry co down ireland

John Mitchel was originally from 1st Presbyterian but transfered to the Non Subscribers in 1829 The minister from 1840- 1868 was Rev. ±% 1653 13,207 — 1659 15,183 +15. It seats 600 people and was generally well attended in 1836. It continued in this ruinous state till after Restoration, when one half was repaired. It's congregation became too numerous so they built another chapel in Shinn townland in 1834. The minister before his transfer to Comber in 1873 was Rev. Daniel Bagot with Rev W.

Next

THE 10 BEST Restaurants in Newry 2019

newry co down ireland

In 1910, the vicar was Rev. Another important peak is , at 534 m 1,752 ft , the source of the River Lagan. M'Elroy, John, baker, Canal street M'Eneaney, Michael, enginedriver, Cecil st M'Entee, Edward, rent agent, Kiln street M'Evoy, John, grocer, King street M'Evoy, Merchants' quay M'Evoy, Thomas, carman, Abbey yard M'Gawley, James, vandriver, Chapel street M'Geough, Peter, publican, Hill street M'Geough, P. The salary of the minister in Rev. C, publican, Bridge street Murtagh, J. The county has a coastline along to the north and to the south both of which have access to the sea. By 1756 there were 2,430 people living in Newry and by 1821 there were 3,015 dwelling houses.

Next

Newry, County Down

newry co down ireland

John Weir after the older church became crowded. James Canon Murtagh 1860-70; v. Colman's College, Violet hill Orange Hall, Downshire road—caretaker, J. This year the festival is due to take place from Friday 2nd November through to Sunday 4th November. The church above in John Mitchel Place is on the corner of Bridge Street, nearly opposite St.

Next

Ulster Towns Directory, 1910: Newry, County Down

newry co down ireland

Five hundred children attended for religious instruction. It was described in 1836 as a plain, granite building with a mud floor and no seats. Website Contae an Dúin is the name, Countie Doun and Coontie Doon are spellings. Three coaches passed through Newry on their way between Dublin and Belfast. Patrick's Church of Ireland in Church Street The photo on the left shows St. It covers an area of 2,448 km 2 945 sq mi and has a population of 531,665. The chaplain in 1852 was Rev.

Next

Interactive Map of Newry, County Down, Ireland

newry co down ireland

Warrenpoint is the region's premier championship course and there are a range of golfing challenges here as well as at Ashfield and Kilkeel. Francis King and the curate Rev William Dowse. Murray and in 1824 it was Rev. Joseph, law clerk, Queen st. We have a number of stunning wedding suites to choose from, each with their own individual style.

Next

Ulster Towns Directory, 1910: Newry, County Down

newry co down ireland

Down with numerous wedding package options for you to peruse and choose from. The Down Survey of 1700 quotes an inscription saying that the older church was built in 1578 by Sir Nicholas Bagnall, Marshall of Ireland. Happily, Newry has turned itself around and is now a vibrant commercial centre. Sloane, secretary Newry Nurseries, Warrenpoint road Newry Provincial Coal Co. O'Hare 1923; Rev James Fitzpatrick 1923-32; Rev John Magee 1932-34; Rev. It was the first Protestant church in Ireland, built in 1573. It was described in 1836 as a plain, rectangular building which was fitted up with pews to hold 350 people, which was barely sufficient for the general attendance.

Next